Friday, June 29, 2012

What Can You Learn From These Video Critiques?

Firstly, thanks for all the encouraging comments on this blog and on YouTube.  It really means a lot.  We're all getting a bit nervous because we've put so much into ArtTutor.com over the last 18 months and there still seems so much to do before the launch in July.  We'll do it though and I'm confident it will be worth the wait.

So on to this post...

I recently filmed 3 video critiques of artwork submitted by members of an ArtTutor focus group.  I think you can learn a tremendous amount from viewing the artwork of fellow artists because the problems they encounter with their pictures often mirror similar issues we have struggled with ourselves.

Or, just as importantly, a feature they've handled well can provide the solution that we've been searching for in our own efforts. Remember, critiques are about pointing out the good bits as well as potential areas for improvement!

Each critique is 7-10 minutes long and I use computer software to digitally 'enhance' each image so that you can see the before and after.

Within ArtTutor.com there will be a forum where you can submit your own artwork for critique by either myself or one of our professional tutors, free of charge.  Every month, we'll pick several images to critique that the entire community can learn from.

Enjoy the videos!

Priority Notification List

As part of the build up, we'll be posting lots of free goodies on this blog. Make sure miss nothing by adding yourself to the Priority Notification List below:

This is fantastic and if it is any indication of how helpful, instructive and fun Art Tutor will be it will be my favorite spot! It's like having my own private instructor by my side.to give help, advice, inspiration and direction. Roll on, July!

Scout

2. Martin Kupka

Thank you so much for these few videos! They are of an excellent help in my ability to see my own mistakes! What´s more, it is witty and decent! Really lovely! Please carry on!
    Martin Kupka

3. Thank you Bob for taking the time to do a thorough analysis of the three paintings. I find this very instructive your way to explain how a change can make a big difference on our paintings. I greatly appreciated the service of the two images to show us what you have done as a change to improve the paintings

4. Linda

Great critiques here Bob: thank-you so much. There is something wonderful about learning and sharing in this way.

June 29, 2012
    Wonder critiques on the acrylic painting Bob. This will become onen of my favourite sites. Learned something already, Can't wait until it is up and running in July. Looking forward in anticipation. Thanks for all the work.

6. Mirjam de Castro

Mirjam de Castro June 29 2012.

Thank you so much for all the inspirational help!!
    I'm always happy to receive your fantastic coaching.
    Looking forward to all your artistic ideas!
    Greetz***Mirjam***

7. Detta

Thanks for sharing Bob, these videos are very helpfull to me.
    What a few strokes can do, beautifull.
    Can't wait too, lets start painting:)
    Thanks for all the work.

8. Having had your set of DVDs as a present & using them to learn how to achieve some of the technics in watercolour painting I was struggling with, now this new critique videos I feel I will have my own tutor helping me when ever I need it.
    Thanks Bob

9. Thanks for your comments everyone. Can I ask if there was one style of critique you preferred over another? I'm thinking a before and after picture all the way through might be nice where I or one of our professional tutors highlights the changes they have made an why.

10. I really struggle with clusters of trees - in a park for example and would love to see how it would be done properly. I have two source photographs if anyone would like to have a go and see what they could come up with.

11. Thank´s for the lesson you are given to us . You remember some very important rules and some mistakes we are doing all time. I´m sorry don´t be more fluent in my english and have more mutual speaking on this matter.
    Regards

12. Amy C

Thank you for these videos. As a beginning artist that is completely self taught, I appreciate your sites and videos greatly, as they have given me insight into the basics and beyond. I also enjoy your book and the helpful hints. Thank you.

13. Scout

Hello Bob, yes I agree a before and after pic side by side would be helpful. And your explanation of why you are making changes will be beneficial to any artwork we are attempting. Thanks